Nal’ibali (isiXhosa for “here’s the story”) is a national reading-for-enjoyment campaign. It seeks to spark and embed a culture of reading across South Africa, so that reading, writing, and sharing stories – in all South African languages – is part of everyday life.
Children who are surrounded by print and immersed in great and well-told stories – in languages they understand – are more curious, confident and motivated to learn. They develop vocabulary, strengthen memory, and nurture imagination. They’re more likely to become readers themselves, and to do well in school across all subjects.
Since 2012, Nal’ibali has worked with state, civil society and business partners to make sure every South African child has opportunities to fall in love with books and stories. This includes founding partners DGMT, PRAESA (the Project for the Study of Alternative Education in South Africa) and Tiso Blackstar (formerly Times Media). Through advocacy, training, and high-quality reading material, Nal’ibali is helping to nurture a reading nation.
The Digital Coordinator is responsible for the execution of the digital and social media activities of all Nal’ibali’s digital and social media platforms as guided by the Digital Strategist and Head of Communications.
This individual is an innovative and progressive thinker who generates and manages digital information, and connects digital and social media to all other aspects of the organisation.
- Implements online and social media strategies including but not limited to creating contact communication plans, in conjunction with the Digital Strategist and Communications department.
- Generates awareness of all Nal'ibali’s programmes related within the digital arena to amplify brand awareness, flagship events and campaigns
- Tracks and reports social community KPIs
- Develop and maintain monthly social media content plans aligned with agreed themes
- Monitors and responds to daily comments and requests on digital and social media platforms
- Manages digital and social media aspects of campaign timeline and monitors progress in conjunction with the Digital Strategist and Head of Communications
- Assists in analyzing metrics across multiple social channels and recommends ways to optimize performance
- Prepares monthly website traffic and stats reports for digital and social media platforms as agreed with the Digital Strategist
- Implements digital audits, analyzes results, delivers initial findings and recommends strategies
- Coordinate and monitor all other Facebook groups network of partners and reading clubs including FUNdaLeaders and pages linked to Nal’ibali (e.g. Read To Me, SPS) with daily check-ins and sharing of posts and/or images
- Audits online campaigns, identifies key findings and recommends approaches
- Upload and/or create narratives around events to share across platforms e.g. training, PR events on Facebook event platforms according to all Nal’ibali programmes’ events calendars, and staff requests
- Load weekly / monthly blogs, press releases, competitions and columns
- Devise and update all sections of website / mobile platforms on ongoing basis, including pages/sections needed for flagship programmes
- Regular coordination and uploading of digital versions of the supplement, audio stories and activity guides
- Coordinate dispatch of winners’ prizes derived from digital activity when required.
- Website maintenance - Regular checks and updates of all digital platforms e.g. ensure links are working, characters up to date, pictures are displaying, etc. home page refreshed
Personal skills /attributes:
- A willing team player who contributes to brainstorming sessions
- Independent and proactive worker with a can-do attitude
- Ability to work under pressure
- Solution and deadline driven
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English and another African language is advantageous
- Relevant tertiary qualification
- Good written and communication skills.
- Two to three years’ experience in digital marketing or advertising essential
- Working knowledge of SEO best practice
- Understands Facebook Insights, Google Analytics and other analytics platforms
- Proven successful project delivery
Should you meet the above requirements, please email your motivational letter and CV to email@example.com with your name and surname, position title in the subject line.