Nal’ibali (isiXhosa for “here’s the story”) is a national reading-for-enjoyment campaign. It seeks to spark and embed a culture of reading across South Africa, so that reading, writing, and sharing stories – in all South African languages – is part of everyday life.
Children who are surrounded by print and immersed in great and well-told stories – in languages they understand – are more curious, confident and motivated to learn. They develop vocabulary, strengthen memory, and nurture imagination. They’re more likely to become readers themselves, and to do well in school across all subjects.
Since 2012, Nal’ibali has worked with state, civil society and business partners to make sure every South African child has opportunities to fall in love with books and stories. This includes founding partners DGMT, PRAESA (the Project for the Study of Alternative Education in South Africa) and Tiso Blackstar (formerly Times Media). Through advocacy, training, and high-quality reading material, Nal’ibali is helping to nurture a reading nation.
The Digital Strategist is responsible for the successful management of all Nal'ibali’s digital and social media strategies. The role requires an innovative and progressive thinker who can connect digital and social media to all other aspects of the organisation, and drive growth opportunities. The Digital Strategist answers key questions such as how Nal’ibali communicates digitally, how they are experienced through digital interactions, how digital interactions fit into broader target audiences’ experiences, and how digital solutions can contribute to network member retention. This individual combines an in-depth knowledge of organisational objectives, online strategies, and the digital and social media landscape, and video conceptualisation and development, with a rich background in the digital marketing industry to deliver effective, memorable digital marketing solutions.
This person handles the day-to-day digital operations of the organisation’s projects; including research, scope development, creative briefing and job execution. This person is also responsible for web and social media contacts, organising information shared by and with the organisation, and creating innovative ways in which to increase digital and social media engagement (including but not limited to Facebook and Twitter).
This position reports to the Head of Communications.
- Develops creative online, video and social media strategies in conjunction with the Head of Communications
- Generates awareness within the digital arena to amplify flagship events and campaigns
- Develop, maintain and oversee execution of monthly social media content plans aligned with agreed themes
- Develop, maintain and oversee execution of monthly digital contact plans aligned with agreed themes
- Monitors and responds to daily comments and requests on digital and social media platforms
- Executes high quality projects on time and on budget
- Manages digital and social media aspects of campaign timeline and monitors progress in conjunction with Head of Communications
- Prepares monthly stats reports for digital and social media platforms as agreed with Head of Communications
- Oversees coordination and monitoring of all social media groups and pages linked to Nal’ibali with daily check-ins and sharing of posts and/or images
- Monitor network of partners and reading clubs including FUNda Leaders on social media daily to share posts, contribute posts and connect to broader campaign strategy
- Upload and/or create narratives around events to share across platforms e.g. training, PR events on Facebook event platforms according to Nal’ibali global calendar and staff requests
- Ensure audio and/or video clips are developed for campaigns and the creation of a media-rich website and load clips to YouTube, Iono and/or Nal'ibali web and mobi sites
- Help write/develop and package content for digital platforms in line with the look, feel and tone of the website and to drive broader campaign objectives
- Load weekly / monthly blogs, press releases, competitions and columns, stories to website bearing in mind SEO best practice and according to an online calendar devised together with the Head of Communications
- Help devise and update all sections of website / mobile platforms on ongoing basis, including pages/sections needed for flagship programmes
- Coordinate calls to action on other platforms to source online content
- Coordinates and oversees uploading of digital versions of the supplement
- Monitor and grow brand reputation across all digital spaces
- Help drive sign-up to the Nal’ibali network through online, social and mobile platforms through creative campaigns and posts
- Monitor and report on growth of visitors accessing content
- Film/photograph events/activities
- Oversee the dispatch of competition winners’ prizes
- Regular checks and updates of all digital platforms e.g. ensure links are working, characters up to date, pictures are displaying, etc., home page refreshed
- Manages overall digital, social media and video project scope
- Develops strong relationships with suppliers (web developers, web designers, videographers, production houses)
- Manages digital coordinator’s workload effectively and timeously
- Works with relevant organisational resources to ensure team is aligned to overall requirements
- Proactively keeps abreast of the organisation’s marketing and media plans, and provides technological solutions including rich media, site optimisation, promotional ideas, mobile, social networks, viral, etc.
- Writes communications briefs, ensuring that creative and media are effectively integrated
- Develops a total understanding of online target audience and mindset modes
- Reviews supplier statements and cost estimates prior to submission to Head of Communications for approval
- Provides campaign performance reporting and analysis to Head of Communications
- Ensures accountability is established during the project planning process
- Independent and proactive worker
- Responsive with a sense of urgency
- Ability to work under pressure
- Fiscal and budget management skills
- Solution and deadline driven
- Self-starter with a can-do approach to life
- Three to five years of full-time experience in digital marketing or advertising (digital experience essential)
- Working knowledge of SEO best practice
- Excellent communication skills, both internal and external
- Strong relationship management, organisational and project management skills
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of internal teams and suppliers
- Ability to identify opportunities for growth and incremental opportunities for the organisation
- Diploma or equivalent in a related field
- Previous NGO experience an advantage
Should you meet the above requirements, please email your motivational letter and CV to email@example.com with your name and surname, position title on the subject line, (e.g. Joe Soap: Digital StrategistCPT).
Please note that feedback will be provided to shortlisted candidates only.