Training Coordinator- Story Powered Schools DURATION: 1 Year
Nal’ibali (isiXhosa for “here’s the story”) is a national reading-for-enjoyment campaign. It seeks to spark and embed a culture of reading across South Africa, so that reading, writing, and sharing stories – in all South African languages – is part of everyday life.
Children who are surrounded by print and immersed in great and well-told stories – in languages they understand – are more curious, confident and motivated to learn. They develop vocabulary, strengthen memory, and nurture imagination. They’re more likely to become readers themselves, and to do well in school across all subjects. Since 2012, Nal’ibali has worked with state, civil society and business partners to make sure every South African child has opportunities to fall in love with books and stories. This includes founding partners DGMT, PRAESA (the Project for the Study of Alternative Education in South Africa) and Tiso Blackstar (formerly Times Media). Through advocacy, training, and high-quality reading material, Nal’ibali is helping to nurture a reading nation.
The Story Powered Schools (SPS) project is a three-year, USAID-funded project running from 2016 to 2019. It is supporting 720 schools in the Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal to grow a culture of reading in their schools.
We are looking for an experienced Training Coordinator, with a passion for people and literacy development to support the Training Manager in the execution of the training and mentorship strategy for Nal’ibali as per strategic direction of the campaign.
This position is based in KwaZulu Natal (Margate)
• Related tertiary qualification a necessity, particularly in the fields of education, project management, and/or social development.
• Written and spoken proficiency in English, ability to speak an African language is an advantage
• Proven work experience as Training coordinator
• Track record in facilitation of successful training programs
• Track record in coordinating diverse training teams
• Familiarity with training cycle activities
• Driver’s license and willingness to travel
• NPO/NGO experience a plus
• Coaching, Mentorship
• Communication, Leadership
• Facilitation/presentation skills
• Activate and coordinate training cycle phases (pre-during-post training activities) according to scheduled training logs from internal departments (administrators) and external interested parties.
• Lead and coordinate pre-training/mentorship sessions, including necessary training material and logistics, with provincial support coordinators (and partners) as guided by the Training Manager
• Assemble Training team combinations for training events as guided by the Training Manager for scheduled (internal) and responsive (external) training events.
• Fulfil full training facilitation role at selected training sessions and special projects as guided by the Training manager
• Assist and contribute to curriculum design, development and orientation processes as guided by the Training Manager
• Coordinate, facilitate and guide interactive learning at own LM spaces designed to improve literacy practice (reading and story play clubs – including media platforms)
• Conduct preliminary analysis of training/mentorship evaluations/reflections/feedback, and share key recommendations with Training Manager for further consideration and action.
• Monitor and track training programme activities, to handle any issues arising, including escalating these to the training manager
• Facilitate training reflective platform discussions across social media platforms, working with the communication Team.
• Drive supplement activation process through the scheduled authoring of the supplement spark guide, including tracking supplement usage trends emerging from data collected.
• Lead and respond to on-site mentorship requests from both internal departments and external partners.
• Maintaining and integration of plans, schedules and resources, working with other programme departments to ensure administrative synergy.
• Ensure record keeping as prescribed by the Training manager
Should you meet the above requirements, please email your motivational letter and updated CV to email@example.com with your name and surname, position title on the subject line, (e.g. Name Surname: Training Coordinator).
Closing date: Thursday, 15 March 2018
Please note that feedback will be provided to shortlisted candidates only.