Nal’ibali (isiXhosa for “here’s the story”) is a national reading-for-enjoyment campaign. It seeks to spark and embed a culture of reading across South Africa, so that reading, writing, and sharing stories – in all South African languages – is part of everyday life. Children who are surrounded by print and immersed in great and well-told stories – in languages they understand – are more curious, confident and motivated to learn. They develop vocabulary, strengthen memory, and nurture imagination. They’re more likely to become readers themselves, and to do well in school across all subjects. Since 2012, Nal’ibali has worked with state, civil society and business partners to make sure every South African child has opportunities to fall in love with books and stories. This includes founding partners DGMT, PRAESA (the Project for the Study of Alternative Education in South Africa) and Tiso Blackstar (formerly Times Media). Through advocacy, training, and high-quality reading material, Nal’ibali is helping to nurture a reading nation.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will join a dynamic, growing team to support Nal’ibali as it continues to strengthen and grow its work across South Africa.
As Nal’ibali grows its national footprint and media presence, strengthening its tools, processes and systems for data collection, data analysis and data-driven decision making is a key priority.
The Data and Systems Lead will ensure alignment of all datasets and data collection processes; improvement of data quality; effective implementation of more digital tools; and use of data to more effectively inform campaign strategy and implementation.
- Systems development:
o Oversee further development, maintenance and optimization of cloud-based Salesforce M&E database.
o Ensure streamlined, efficient management, analysis and use of campaign data.
- Data management and quality assurance:
o Oversee cleaning and regular updating of reading club, contact and organization databases.
o Clean, align and upload data currently stored offline to create one central repository for all critical campaign data.
o Ensure data is shared and used via strong feedback loops that enable a culture of datadriven decision making across the organization.
- Work with a team to:
o develop, deploy, test and refine tools to collect ongoing data about campaign implementation
o produce and share reports with Nal’ibali staff members, partners and funders o run regular surveys of Nal’ibali network members
o train staff members on monitoring and evaluation tools and processes
o use data to nurture a culture of learning, adaptation and innovation across the organization at all levels
o contribute to Nal’ibali’s research agenda and design of research projects (internal and external)
- Independent self-starter, able to drive projects proactively and independently with minimal supervision.
- Focused, efficient person, able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and multi-task without compromising quality of delivery.
- Strategic and innovative thinker who can turn that thinking into realistic plans and workflows.
- Able to work well across departments and with a geographically-dispersed, diverse team.
- Competency in at least one other South African language is an asset.
- Passionate about literacy development and social transformation.
- Relevant tertiary qualification, such as a masters or honours degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Economics, Statistics, Social Sciences, Business or Public Administration, and/or Social Development.
- Proven track record of quantitative data analysis, including work with large datasets.
- Proven track record of project management.
- Excellent Excel skills; significant experience using STATA advantageous.
- Strong Salesforce skills desirable, including report generation, cleaning and upserting datasets, and creating and customizing objects and record types.
- Experience in implementing large-scale monitoring and evaluation and/or quality assurance systems desirable.
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience.
Should you meet the above requirements, please email your motivational letter and CV to email@example.com with your name and surname, position title on the subject line, (e.g. Joe Soap: M&E Specialist).
Closing date: 16 February 2018
Please note that feedback will be provided to shortlisted candidates only