Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist: Nal’ibali Trust
Nal’ibali (isiXhosa for “here’s the story”) is a national reading-for-enjoyment campaign. It seeks to spark and embed a culture of reading across South Africa, so that reading, writing, and sharing stories – in all South African languages – is part of everyday life. Children who are surrounded by print and immersed in great and well-told stories – in languages they understand – are more curious, confident and motivated to learn. They develop vocabulary, strengthen memory, and nurture imagination. They’re more likely to become readers themselves, and to do well in school across all subjects. Since 2012, Nal’ibali has worked with state, civil society and business partners to make sure every South African child has opportunities to fall in love with books and stories. This includes founding partners DGMT, PRAESA (the Project for the Study of Alternative Education in South Africa) and Tiso Blackstar (formerly Times Media). Through advocacy, training, and high-quality reading material, Nal’ibali is helping to nurture a reading nation.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will join a dynamic, growing team to support Nal’ibali as it continues to strengthen and grow its work across South Africa. As Nal’ibali grows, strengthening tools, processes and systems for collecting, storing and analyzing data, and using this data to inform planning and strategic decision-making, is a key priority.
- Monitoring and evaluation system development and implementation:
o Strengthen, align and ensure smooth operation of M&E systems.
o Refine and develop theories of change, indicators, data collection tools, M&E standard operating procedures, analysis and reporting.
o Clean, align and upload data currently stored offline to create one central repository for all critical campaign data.
o Run regular surveys of Nal’ibali network members to verify and update existing data and deepen understanding of campaign implementation.
o Oversee further development, maintenance and optimization of cloud-based Salesforce M&E database.
o Ensure data is shared and used via strong feedback loops that enable a culture of datadriven decision making across the organization.
- Data analysis, research and reporting
o Produce and share reports with Nal’ibali staff members, partners and funders
o Support design and implementation of research projects (internal and external).
o Ensure reports and research findings are used to nurture a culture of learning, adaptation and innovation across the organization at all levels
- Management and training
o Manage a geographically-dispersed team of M&E officers and data capturers.
o Train staff members on monitoring and evaluation tools and processes.
- Independent self-starter, able to drive projects proactively and independently with minimal supervision.
- Focused, efficient person, able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and multitask without compromising quality of delivery.
- Strategic and innovative thinker who can turn that thinking into realistic plans and workflows.
- Able to work well across departments and with a geographically-dispersed, diverse team.
- Competency in at least one other South African language is an asset.
- Passionate about literacy development and social transformation.
- Relevant tertiary qualification, such as a masters or honours degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Economics, Statistics, Social Sciences, Business or Public Administration, and/or Social Development.
- Experience building and implementing large-scale monitoring and evaluation systems, including developing/refining theories of change, indicators, data collection tools, standard operating procedures and regular analysis and reporting.
- Proven track record of managing people and projects.
- Excellent Excel skills, and proven track record of quantitative data analysis and interpretation, including work with large datasets.
- Strong report writing, presentation and communication skills, and significant experience reporting to funders.
- Research design, survey design/implementation, and qualitative data collection and analysis experience desirable.
- Strong Salesforce skills desirable, including back-end development and generating reports and dashboards.
- Experience training/building capacity of others.
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience.
- Valid Driver’s license
This position is based in Cape Town, South Africa.
Should you meet the above requirements, please email your motivational letter and CV to email@example.com with your name and surname, position title on the subject line, (e.g. Name Surname: M&E Specialist).