Story Sparker - Lesedi and Letsatsi Project-1 Year Fixed Term Contract
3 Northern Cape, Danielskuil 3 Northern Cape, Postmasburg 2 Free State, Dealesville
Nal’ibali (isiXhosa for “here’s the story”) is a national reading-for-enjoyment campaign. It seeks to spark and embed a culture of reading across South Africa, so that reading, writing, and sharing stories – in all South African languages – is part of everyday life. Children who are surrounded by print and immersed in great and well-told stories – in languages they understand – are more curious, confident and motivated to learn.
They develop vocabulary, strengthen memory, and nurture imagination. They’re more likely to become readers themselves, and to do well in school across all subjects. Since 2012, Nal’ibali has worked with state, civil society and business partners to make sure every South African child has opportunities to fall in love with books and stories. This includes founding partners DGMT, PRAESA (the Project for the Study of Alternative Education in South Africa) and Tiso Blackstar (formerly Times Media). Through advocacy, training, and high-quality reading material, Nal’ibali is helping to nurture a reading nation.
We are looking for motivated young people who love stories and reading to join us to share this passion with the schools in your local community that we can get all children reading!
• Promote the Nali’bali campaign
• Inspire the community and schools to establish and participate in reading clubs.
• Work with a core team of volunteers to ensure activation of reading clubs and campaign activities
• Assist the volunteers to gain access to the resources they need to sustain reading clubs
• Continue to provide regular mentorship and inspiration to the volunteers.
• Monitor implementation, capture data and report on activities taking place at the schools and in your community
• Identify prospective partners in the community
• Support partnership initiatives
• Live within walking distance from the local schools in Dealesville, Postmasburg and, Danielskuil
• Strong communication skills
• Able to speak, write and read Sesotho/Setswana/Afrikaans
• Able to speak, write and read English
• Computer literate
• Demonstrate previous work experience
• Passionate about growing the love of reading in your community
• Interested in working children
• Able to engage with children and teachers.
Should you meet the above requirements, please forward your application (Curriculum Vitae (CV), Motivation Letter, ID copy, Matric certificate and any other qualification/s) to Nontokozo Kunene on firstname.lastname@example.org Please clearly indicate the area of residence.
In return for all your great work you will be paid a stipend of R5 000 per month